Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Working from home in times of Corona

To be productive, you need top-of-the-line equipment
With the current numbers of Corona infections ramping up in almost every country, we can expect the duration of self-isolation and work from home for an indefinite period. So everybody should probably get familiar with working from home. I will tell you my secret: For successfully working from home you need some top-of-the-line equipment as your working computer. First of all, you need a lot of RAM, at least 128 kB. Forget what your friends say, 64 kB is not enough! Furthermore, you need a fast processor to handle the vast amount of data stored in the big RAM. Therefore, I have not only one, but two processors in my computer, running at up to 4 Mhz processing speed. You should also have a dedicated monitor, not a built-in display. In my setup, I can quickly switch between two different resolutions with a button on the monitor which is relaxing to my eyes.
Writing a program for visualization of Corona cases
But it is not only the hardware but also the software. With the advanced built-in programming language, I can easily visualize a graph. I quickly wrote a program visualizing the development of COVID-19 cases in Austria from March 1 to March 31. As you can see, there is an exponential development in the number of cases, which is why the graph has to rescale several times.

Results viewed on the high-resolution monitor
You can find my program, including the source code, at the CSDB repository.

If your computer can't run the program, it's probably because you don't have enough RAM or processing power on your system. But remember, today is April 1st, a good day to order a better computer.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful passion you are displaying here, my 128 is as good as dead in the attic.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. And not to forget, the absence of Internet reduces distractions a lot.

    ReplyDelete